Public Sector Mexico – Pre-Import Verification of Conformity of Labels
SGS in Mexico is accredited as a Commercial Inspection (Verification) Unit for Standard NMX 17020 for 11 label standards from all countries of supply.
The Dirección General de Normas (DGN) of the Ministry of Economy of Mexico (Director General of Standards) has introduced a ‘Pre-Import Verification of Conformity (PVoC)’ for labels of all commercial goods imported into Mexico to protect public health, safety and the environment.
With SGS’s accreditation as a Commercial Inspection (Verification) Unit (UVA) (UVNOM 037) for this standard, we are authorized to inspect and validate commercial information contained on the labels of specific products.
- All commercial goods imported into Mexico must be inspected to ensure that their labels conform to Mexican standards
- All goods require either a Proof of Conformity (Constancia) which must be issued before the goods reach the Mexican border or a Certificate of Compliance (Dictamen) following an inspection by a UVA in a customs bonded warehouse in Mexico
- No commercial goods are exempt
- Responsibility of compliance lies with the supplier/importer
SGS can inspect the following 11 groups of goods:
- Textiles and clothing
- Natural and artificial leather goods and footwear
- Electronics, electrical goods and household appliances
- Products for which no specific label standard applies
- Food and non-alcoholic beverages
- Automotive lubricating oils
- Pre-packaged perfume and beauty products
- Alcoholic beverages
- Cocoa products and derivatives
- Cleaning products for household use
Mexico’s PVoC ensures that labels meet mandatory safety, quality and security requirements, facilitates international trade, avoids delays to customs clearance and reduces potential losses from the import of non-compliant products.
Why choose SGS?
SGS has vast experience in delivering worldwide conformity assessment services. We have an unparalleled global network, local contract management, and a dedicated team of professionals. Together with a superior software platform, we ensure consistency, speed, efficiency and professionalism.
Contact your local SGS office for more information.